Planning a Honeymoon? Why You Should Choose to Cruise!
Daniel and I love traveling (obviously). We love “seeing the world” and “meeting new people” and all of those cliche things that other travelers talk about. Travel is eye-opening and life changing... But travel is not for your honeymoon. Your honeymoon is a time for relaxation, luxury, and spending uninterrupted, hassle-free time together. This, and the 4 reasons penned below, are the reasons why Daniel and I chose to spend our honeymoon in the middle of the ocean.
1. Little umbrella drinks.
When planning your honeymoon, every couple should search for two words: “all inclusive.” On a cruise, you get your little honeymoon suite, unlimited meals from the delicious dining rooms and buffets, and plenty of entertainment options included in your fixed price. It’s like, for a few days, you live in a floating city where everything is free. The only thing this excludes is alcohol (unless you add that to your package.) But this extra price is worth adding to your all-inclusive package because of the little umbrella drinks.
Imagine this: you lay back in a lounge chair on the balcony of a city-sized cruise boat, holding hands with your new husband. When you look around you, you see nothing but miles and miles of ocean, and you feel the warm, soon-to-be Bahamian breeze in your hair. You put your head back, sigh, squeeze his hand - and then you pick up that quintessentially perfect piña colada with the little yellow umbrella perched on the corner, and you take a sip.
But for those of you who, like us, can’t turn off your thirst for adventure even for the chance to relax for ten days - there are excursions. Daniel and I love being independent in different states and countries and planning our own itinerary. But! On our honeymoon, it was a great to sit back and let someone else do the planning. We got to see 3 places we had never seen before: Cape Canaveral, Florida; Nassau, Bahamas and Freeport, Bahamas. And we had these adventures with barely a minute of planning. When the day came, we filed off the boat with a few people who had chosen the same excursion as us, and we got into vans driven by locals that took us to our destination. When we arrived, we were totally independent; we only had to be back at the meeting place at a certain time so that the vans could take us back to the boat. Daniel and I swam with dolphins, visited markets, tried local foods we couldn’t get in America, drove mopeds down the Bahamian highways, and haggled for souvenirs - all without planning transportation or paying on-site fees. Adventure shouldn’t always be relaxing, but it sense to be so on your honeymoon.
Our cruise boat had eight jacuzzis. This alone is reason enough to recommend cruising.
4. Unlimited Options
Comedy shows, dancing clubs, piano bars, jazz concerts, outdoor movie nights, swimming pools and jacuzzis, 24-hour burger and pizza buffets, spas, water slides and arcades, casinos and bars, professional photos shoots, trivia and other game nights, theater and dance shows, etc. etc. etc. A lot of these options are not included at an “all inclusive resort” (other popular honeymoon choices) and that’s why I would recommend cruising over resorting. Just like we were told in the morning announcements every morning: “you can do everything, or you can do nothing.” And yes, we did take advantage of a vast majority of the adventures our cruise line offered to us; but there was a time when Daniel and I, for an entire 12 hours, did nothing more than eat, nap and sit in the jacuzzi. And it was perfect.
- You will gain a minimum of 10 pounds if you visit the 24-hour burger buffet every night
- There are many free professional photos shoots, but purchasing the photos cost extra money. I recommend purchasing at least one of these. They’re wonderful mementos. Ours is displayed below.
- All of the food is included in the cost of the cruising package - but then again, all cruise boats have gourmet restaurants at the top of their boat. Daniel and I decided to spend our money on this, and we weren’t disappointed.
- Another perfect part about cruising for your honeymoon is the fact that you cannot get cell reception in the middle of the ocean, no matter how hard you try. And though I wouldn’t normally be okay with sky-high wifi prices, I didn’t mind it that week. Our cruise forced us to disconnect from the world around us and focus only on each other.
- If you choose to go with Carnival Cruise as we did - make sure you get that chocolate melting cake. Your world will be changed.